Thursday, February 28, 2013

A little March Madness, A little Clean Livin'

Looking back I see that October was my first - and last - posting. Seems like an understatement to say that life has been really hectic and many changes have been made in the Stewart Six's world. 

On January 9th 2013 my mom passed away after a long battle with an autoimmune disease called scleroderma. There seem to be so many people I know who have Lupus, celiac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, food allergies, etc. Not being a scientist I don't know if there is any kind of a link but I started thinking about food and its relationship to our over-all health. Is there the possibility that something we are ingesting is causing our bodies to revolt? I don't believe that preservatives, GMO's, artificial sweeteners or other additives CAUSED my mother to have an autoimmune disease but I can't help but wonder if those things may have exacerbated it or hurried it along. 

Recently I posted on Facebook that the more reading I do about nutrition the more I feel like I need to start eliminating a lot of the processed food we have in the house, for my health as well as the kiddos. Now, this isn't to say that eating processed food is a bad thing. Hell if it weren't for Devil Dogs, Ramen noodles, bad takeout and strong coffee I never would have graduated college! That being said, I can't help but feel guilty giving the twinados and the new guy chicken nuggets (the box says all natural but I have a feeling that the chicken didn't NATURALLY appear from the sky in cool dinosaur shapes... but I could be wrong) at lunch time. The guilt. Oh the guilt. It's a freaking cycle. Example:

*looks in fridge* 

Hmmm. 

All Natural Dino Nuggets or Turkey dogs.

Maybe grilled cheese?

I really should be making something more wholesome but DEAR GOD, how am I going to manage that with the *ample* amount of free time I have... but if I don't make the time am I putting their health in jeopardy... but how do I find the time to make clean foods without sacrificing time with them... But I'm a SAHM, I *should* be able to do this because if I can't then I am a super-mom-FAIL... But I have three toddlers and a super-angsty 'tween... But I need to do this for them...


*cooks up nuggets AND hotdogs and eats them, too*


And so begins the mother's-guilt-cycle. In the Guilt Olympics I have medaled in Culpability Cycling and Marathon Mental Self-Flaggilation. I am THAT good at this. 

It is very clear that this is going to have to happen in steps as I start out making the time to cook more "clean" and to reduce the "OMGit's4pmthekidsarescreamingthedogsaremoochingweareoutofnewDoraTheExplorerepisodesontheDVRandIhavenoideawhattodofordinner" stress. 

First step was to plan out the month's meals. HELLA BIG CHECKMARK!



A major part of this step and meal plan is to shop weekly on Saturday mornings for the week's meals. Monday is "baking day" where I will be baking the week's bread and treats. My stand mixer and my crock pot are about to become my new best friends. If I am feeling crazy the food processor will make an appearance. The Dutch Oven and I have agreed we needed to take a break. We are seeing other cooking vessels. 

Next step is to stick to it and write about what worked and what didn't. This is the accountability portion of our program. I am hopeful that the reduced stress will allow for more free time to work this last step out. 

Keeps your eyes peeled for updates. Comment often and let me know: Are you a meal planner? Has it worked out for you? What are some of your favorite go-to recipes?

March Madness, the Stewarts are ready!!

XOXOX -

TAM

1 comment:

  1. Umm. I will be posting my conference call number shortly. Do you need a Project Manager? I hear that #Caroline Petraca is Wickid Cranston!

    ReplyDelete